Why does water never laugh at jokes?
It isn’t a fan of dry humour!
Are you looking to start a career in the water industry? Perhaps with a business where you can learn from real operating plants, clients and stakeholders, not just from textbooks? Are you seeking an employer who is willing to invest in your future? One who will set a clear direction for your professional development and has the right mix of diverse projects and engineering mentors to propel it forward? Then we are probably just who you are looking for!
As one of Australia’s most successful independent water industry consultancies, Beca HunterH2O is leading the delivery of some of the country’s most varied and challenging water projects. Together with our small company culture and operational background, you will have the opportunity to contribute to many and varied projects in a team environment, supported by the largest team of water and wastewater specialists in the Australian water industry.
Due to a strong local and international pipeline of work, we are seeking the appointment of Graduate Engineers with a passion for water and wastewater, to join our thriving team. These roles will be based in our Newcastle office.
Your traits and skills
Ideal candidates across all three Technical areas will demonstrate:
- A commitment to working safely, and within the company’s HSEQ systems
- A commitment to learn and expand your knowledge of the water industry
- Sound reasoning and problem-solving skills
- The courage to seek assistance from others, and the willingness to share knowledge
- Exemplary skills in Microsoft packages including Excel, Word and Visio
- A self-motivated, can-do attitude
- Well-developed emotional intelligence
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills to interact with a broad range of audiences
- The desire to join one of the few remaining Australian-owned, client-focused and water specialist teams committed to innovative delivery of water engineering services
- Flexibility to be both autonomous and work cohesively within a team environment
- An ability to travel as the work requires
- Develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge of engineering technology advancements and relevant legislative requirements
- Australian Residency (essential)
And will be generally tasked to:
- Support our senior engineers in the delivery of investigation and design work, calculations, modelling, drafting, preparing reports, testing and analysis, both in the office and onsite as required
- Travel to customer sites across the country to support operations and perform site-based investigations
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and tenders
- Collaborate with our multidiscipline teams to secure, manage and deliver projects.
Graduates will experience the full gamut of demands of a project’s life cycle, from investigations, planning studies, design, construction assistance, commissioning and operations support throughout Australia and the Pacific. Through our diverse projects, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with our process, planning, civil, structural, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical and SCADA engineering and 3D BIM design specialists to further broaden your experience base and accelerate your professional development.
A little about us
Unique in Australia, Beca HunterH2O draws on decades of frontline experience in water industry management, operations, design and construction support services to deliver highly practical, proven solutions to any water challenge.
Our broad operational heritage, Australian ownership and responsive business structure is what sets our strong team apart from the rest. This is the chance to get in at the ground level of a small but growing specialist team that is punching above its weight in the industry frontline.
Role specific requirements (in addition to general traits and skills)
Graduate Process Engineer (reporting through our Process and Operations Team)
- Recently completed (up to three years or are close to completing) a chemical or environmental engineering degree, achieving a high standard of results throughout your studies
- Undertaken process reviews of water, wastewater and recycled water treatment plants
- Prepare literature reviews on water and wastewater technologies and developments
- Participate in process reviews, operational and technical workshops (HAZOP, CHAIR, Risk Assessments, etc)
- Develop process and instrumentation diagrams
- Develop and implement laboratory and pilot scale investigations
- Commission pilot plants, operate and support such studies for our customers
- Strong communication skills including professional report writing.
Graduate Planning Engineer (Reporting through our Planning and Advisory Team)
- Recently completed (or are close to completing) a civil or environmental engineering or related discipline degree, achieving a high standard of results throughout your studies
- Knowledge of water and wastewater network planning
- Awareness /basic knowledge of Australian water industry standards, codes and guidelines
- Experience with hydraulic modelling and GIS software
- Strong communication skills including professional report writing.
Graduate Design Engineer: (Reporting through our Design Team)
- Recently completed (up to three years or are close to completing) a civil or mechanical engineering or related discipline degree, achieving a high standard of results throughout your studies
- Network and treatment design experience including pumping stations, treatment plants, pipelines, roads and drainage, earthworks, and water retaining structures, preferably in the Australian water industry
- Project/design management of all phases of design for complex multi-disciplinary projects
- Awareness /basic knowledge of water industry standards, codes and guidelines
- Assist in Preparing briefs and managing contracts for the engagement of consultants and contractors for outsourced engineering work, and the monitoring of contractors’ performance to ensure quality outputs
- Bring excellent communication skills with ability to develop and foster client relationships
- Willingness to embrace Chartered Engineer pathway supported by the organisation
- Readiness for fast tracked learning and training opportunities embedded in our workflow
- Your drive for technical excellence and cross discipline experience will see you collaborating alongside our process, civil, structural, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical and SCADA engineers and 3D BIM design specialists.
Graduate Project Managers: (Reporting through our Project Management Office)
- Recently completed (up to three years or are close to completing) a civil or environmental engineering or building and construction management degree, achieving a high standard of results throughout your studies
- Passion for planning and executing project plans to develop designs and construct infrastructure in the water sector
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills and an ability to co-ordinate teams from different disciplines and backgrounds
- Analytical skills including an ability to develop work breakdown structures, financial / budget management, programming and work breakdown structures (advanced capabilities in advanced use of Microsoft Excel, estimating software or Microsoft Project would be a bonus).
For the right candidates, these roles will provide the challenge to set you on the path to a rewarding career. On offer, is an opportunity to join an employee-owned multidisciplinary company competing on the international stage. You will enjoy the camaraderie of a cohesive specialist team, and benefit from a genuine work-life balance and the reward that comes from delivering exceptional technical outcomes for our clients and their communities.
While a full-time role is on offer, depending on applicants, casual and part-time positions will be considered, however applicants must be available for at least three full days per week.
Access great depth of experience and grow within our technical streams
Be immersed in one of Beca HunterH2O’s four technical streams where the average years of experience is 16 years! Be mentored by some of the country’s top water industry engineers awarded for technical leadership, innovative methods and technologies.
- A Process and Operations team of 39 process engineers with an average of 18 years in the industry
- A Design and Delivery team of 25 with an average of 17 years’ experience
- An Electrical and SCADA Team of 22 with an average of 16 years’ experience; and
- A Planning and Advisory team of over 19 with an average 15 years’ experience.
Regardless of the team you join, you’ll be surrounded by principal level support for your accelerated development. At Beca HunterH2O, there is always someone available and willing to pass on their valuable knowledge and experience.
What We Offer
Along with a competitive salary we offer many other benefits to ensure your professional development & wellbeing is ongoing:
- Mentoring for your own development
- Incentive payments and access to the Employee Share Ownership Program for high achieving employees
- Participate in learning and talent development programs including global programs, online learning and on-the-job learning
- Corporate fitness membership
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible working arrangements.
Your attention to detail will expedite you through our application process. You will provide clear evidence to the desired skills and traits listed above to secure your opportunity and advance through to interview stage.
- One single A4 Page: Cover letter explaining why you would like to join us, highlighting how your relevant skills and experience meets or exceeds the above listed “Ideal skills”
- Up to two A4 Pages: Details of previous relevant employment experience along with associated referee details (name, phone number, email and relationship) whom can attest to your previous experience
- A copy of your academic transcript.
Express your interest by uploading the above-mentioned documents to SEEK, noting all applications will be treated in strict confidence. Applications close Monday the 4th of July 2022.